The redesigned SIGNATURE H is a waterproof bike pannier (Horizontal briefcase style design) for urban bike travel. This pannier is made of 1000 denier Cordura® nylon lined with a waterproof TPU laminated fabric with fully taped seams. Tough, durable and waterproof, this pannier is equipped with our world renowned Cam-Lock® full aluminum attachment system. The SIGNATURE H will carry all of your essentials to work or school, day in and day out. This pannier is handmade in Canada and personally signed by its maker.
- Lined with waterproof material with fully taped seams.
- Padded laptop compartment
- Zippered pocket inside for smaller items
- Cam-Lock® mounting system
- Padded mounting hardware cover for added comfort off the bike
- Carry handle
- Comfortable 2” shoulder strap
- Reflective patches for night safety
- Shopping bag style carry handles accessible when the bag is fully open
- Flat bottom allows the bag to stay upright
- Waterproof liner
- Made In Canada
3 customer reviews
Great all-around commuter bag
I've now used this as a daily commuter for almost a year and it has held up wonderfully. The on/off mechanism to clip to the rack on my bike is flawless (no matter how heavy the load is) and has never once popped off unexpectedly, even on the pot-holed/cobblestone streets of NYC. Waterproofing is solid, have been caught in the rain a number of times with a laptop inside and have been fine (although I do wonder how long the waterproofing will ultimately last, given that any fabric waterproofing tends to wear off after a couple of years in my experience).
Space is great - Pushing this bag's capacity to the max, I've been able to fit a laptop, lunch, full suit & shoes, a small bag of the necessaries (wallet, phone, etc), AND u-lock & chain lock without any issues. Even when the bag is maxed out and i'm barely able to fold down the closure once, there's never been an issue with things popping out.
The very minor cons I have are:
- When carried as a should bag it isn't the comfiest. The flap that covers the metal clasps is nice, but doesn't provide a lot of padding when it's against your body. Not a big issue because I only really carry this from my bike to office.
- Lack of organizing pockets - I wish that there were more pockets to separate things. The one pock parallel to the laptop separator has some areas to hold pens, but I wish there were some additional pockets that truly separated things.
- Lack of an outside pocket - I know that this pocket probably wouldn't be waterproof or could even compromise the overall waterproofness of the bag, but I do wish that there was one small pocket outside of the large bag area to throw keys or something like a phone. Would be nice to have when you don't want to undue to roll-top and rummage through the bag to find a small something.
Arkel Signature H Unit
I am writing to review the Signature H Unit. I initially purchased the unit in 2016 February as I decided to commute to work daily by bike. I, once again, in 2016 August placed an order for another similar bag as I started to ride with two panniers. Key factors that drove me back to Arkel are:
- The bag I had performed really well in rain, snow or dry weather. I never felt any of my items including my phone etc wet after rain or snow. While on the outside it seems water is seeping in, it doesnt due to the lining inside. This is key for anyone biking in the winter or wet weather.
- The bags are spacious..I pack my bag with my work attire (shirts, socks etc) daily and also my gym gear and my lunch. i also have an emergency repair kit and a hand pump and a water bottle inside the bag at all times so it accomodates more than meets the eye.
- Thirdly, the pockets inside help organize items by use. I usually carry a file back from work or have my apartment keys in the chain compartment and other electronic items in there. That helps with me not fumbling through the whole bag at the end of the day.
- Lastly, my legs do not hit the bag when I am biking...I tried many bags as trial before I settled on Arkel and most had that issue but I have yet to hit the bag when I ride.
Cons/Opportunities for Improvement
- I feel the strap could be a bit more sturdy. When I carry it with all the stuff I have (which is a lot), the burden on the shoulders could be alleviated with a stronger cushioned strap.
I recommend this product to anyone.
Nice and simple "Singature" horizontal version.
I have had this bag now for a few weeks. Not sure what I did without it.
It goes on the luggage racks with a quick-release system that is strong and super fast.
There are three ways to hold this bag. One is with a shoulder strap, another with handles at the top of the stretched-open bag for when buying groceries, and a third way when the bag is properly closed/rolled up there is a handle like on a briefcase.
All very useful. I lock up the bike and zip the bag onto my shoulder without any effort.
For office and general purposes, the bag is basically open and big. Inside it, on the rack side there is a thin compartment for a laptop, and a stiff material between it and the rack. In the lining of the laptop compartment there is a zipper for thinner things, papers and such stuff.
This bag fits effortlessly onto all of my three bikes:
1) Giant Cypress with a Topeak Tourist extended rack. I have shopped about 40 lbs of groceries on this one, with additional 30 lbs on the other side in a basket.
2) Dahon MU8 with the Dahon large luggage rack.
3) Brompton bike with its standard rear rack. Note: the bag hangs to about 5 inches off the ground which has been fine so far. I have shopped about 30 lbs worth of groceries and it was kind of ok though the bike itself has limits.
Brompton also has a front-mounted rack and this bag sort of fits on it but better if the front Brompton mount is fitted slightly (shave off a bit off plastic) to ensure a proper grip.
To fit all three bikes, I adjusted the clamp mechanism to the same single position, basically to push the bag backwards a couple of inches, this is not so much to fit the bike, as it is to clear the heels of my shoes when pedaling.
I also have taken the bag around without the bike and it works just fine that way.
Write Your Own Review
Arkel Panniers - designed for cyclists, by cyclists